7.02.2012

REUNION IN PALAWAN!


Happy 4th of July!!!
     So you'll never guess what ended up happening on transfer day: Sister Campoto, one of the sisters I've been living with for the last two transfers, got transferred back to the mainland (meaning I'm the sister that's been here in Palawan the longest now). And you'll never guess who arrived here Wednesday... to my pleasant surprise... my NANAY! (mother) Sister Culango!!:) Man, I'm sure as you can guess I was so happy to see her! I've missed her a lot, and, as I told you back when we were transferred, we just became the best of friends. So yeah after 4 1/2 months of not seeing each other, it was quite the reunion when she got off the plane. It's kind of crazy to think out of all the sisters in the mission, only four get to be assigned in Palawan at a time, and somehow my trainer and I ended up here at the same time. Who would have thought!
Sister Stromberg & Sister Culango together again but in Palawan!
     Then, yes we had Caguiban this last week or also called the Feast of the Forest. It's this huge event here in Puerto Princesa where everyone hikes to this mountain, and then everyone plants a tree/trees. So the rivers that you saw from Janeth, I'm guessing, were just the hike up to the mountain. They took huge, army looking trucks just full of people up, and then there were tons of people just walking. It was madness! It lasted all day and ended with a concert and such, but we were just there a couple hours in the morning to help out and then had to work, of course. It was a lot of fun! The Santa Monica elders couldn't join because Elder Nielson actually caught Dengue. Poor elder! So yes because it is raining season there are even more mosquitoes, and we have to be really careful.
 
 
 
     Oh and with the transfers, before it was every four transfers, but the last couple sisters have only been here three so who knows what it will be. They usually have at least one sister leave and one come each transfer so because I've been here the longest, there's a good chance this will be my last here. Man, how time flies!! Oh and, Mom, from your story... who is Kirby?!?!
     As far as investigators, we had the neatest lesson with Maryjane, Nic and Renz this last week. We taught the restoration for the first time to Nic, and then it was just a review for Maryjane and Renz. Renz is only 11 years old but remembered almost all of it including all about the apostacy, and man I was so impressed. We taught them a while ago too when Sister Afu was here. But anyway I got to share the First Vision with them which is one of my favorite things to share. And after I shared, we asked Sister Maryjane how she felt, and she explained that her heart was beating really fast. It was really neat for me because that's exactly how I feel when I feel the Holy Ghost so I got to share that with her, and it was a neat connection. You could tell she was really touched. Then she got serious and asked us, “. . . Sisters, from what you've noticed do you think I'm ready for baptism?” And man, she's so ready! She's actually been ready for quite some time; the only thing that's holding her back is she doesn't feel ready. She wants to learn ALL about the church first. But yeah it was just a really neat, neat lesson. And Nic is understanding more and more and says he believes Joseph Smith is a true prophet. So yeah they're getting close for sure! Their goal date was July 14, but due to some word of wisdom problems we're moving it back a week. But if everything works out, it should be July 21. I'm so excited for them though! It's going to happen!:)



 
 
     Then our others are coming as well, just a slow process. Our older couple, the Bombases, have been out of town so no update on them. We did splits again yesterday (we do almost every Sunday), and it was me and four other branch missionaries. Haha kind of crazy with that many but really fun as well. One of them, Mhelgar, should be getting ready to go on his mission but hasn't really taken it seriously so it was really good that we worked yesterday to try and encourage him (his first time in a really long time working with missionaries). Oh and while we were on splits, we found this golden family through contacting a referral. It was a colleague of one member, and her dad was so so interested and seemed so excited to start reading the Book of Mormon. It was such a neat lesson, and I'm excited to go back to them.
     So yeah I still just love my branch a lot and have gotten really close with them. They are so humble and teachable and want to learn and grow and are such examples to me. So yeah that's the work this week in Santa Monica. We now have a new elder in our branch Elder Ronocco, from Davoa, and he is actually our District leader so that will be fun to have him helping in our branch now. I think that's about all I have for today!
     Thanks for the e-mails and updates. Oh and to answer questions real quick... as far as my shoes, they kind of wore out after my first transfer here in Palawan because we're walking on really rocky roads. But they have rubber shoes here for cheap that all the missionaries use because you have to have that for the rainy season. You have to wash them each morning because they get SUPER muddy, and if I had my other shoes, they wouldn't be dry by the time we work. Then as far as clothes, they're okay. There are a couple that have some holes that I had to sew and who knows if they'll last a lot longer. I might try and find some new clothes here, but it's just hard sometimes to find some that fit. So if you want to send a blouse or two, I won't complain:) hehe. Oh and someone asked about the weather. Yes it's the raining season, and sometimes it's a little cool which is super nice not to sweat for a little bit but then at the same time sometimes I'll be sweating as it's raining because it's still hot and humid... yep that's life here in the Philippines.
     So yeah I love you all so much! Take care:) Thanks for all the love and support. Oh one more question... is that Sister Merkley on the front of the conference Ensign? Or who is it? Super familiar! Yep, that's it! Love you!!!

Mahal ko kayo lahat!
Sister Stromberg

No comments:

Post a Comment